Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Can We Agree On These?

*First, I'd like to apologize for no posts, however, I broke a few toes and have been a little over medicated. So let's make up for it today. Also, I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend and no tickets!*

Whether we like all of them or not, I think that we can all agree that the following people are A list and get them out of the way:

Will Smith - Without a doubt, the king of the box office. I place WS and TC as 1&2 but they are really neck and neck.
Tom Cruise - Franchise, no matter how crazy people might think he is, he can still open a movie; he is Les Grossman dammit! I’m not exactly TC’s biggest fan, but I’m no idiot either. Money talks and TC can bring in some money.
Tom Hanks - Is there anything he can’t do?
Reese Witherspoon - franchise
Angelina Jolie - franchise
Ben Stiller - franchise, can open a movie
Brad Pitt - the Ocean’s franchise? (I know he’s got a few noms under his belt and some okay movies but is he really A list or is he A list by association? Actually I’m giving him A list status because he is Tyler Durden, so there!)
George Clooney - franchise
Matt Damon - franchise (actually two franchises if you count him, Pitt & Clooney as the stars of the Ocean’s flicks)
Julia Roberts - She’s been A list for so long I don’t know what she’d have to do to fall off
Meryl Streep - Is there any ‘Doubt’ about this one? (Sorry I had to include that unfunny pun.)
Jack Nicholson - See Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts.
Keanu Reeves - franchise, plus Enty has already stated he’s A list in two BIs



Are there any other stars that we can agree are A list, no ifs, ands or buts about it? Let me know your thoughts in the comments.



I’d really like to include Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino because anyone who knows me knows that I love, love, love The Godfather Trilogy, yes even TGIII! But they have made some shitty choices here lately: Rocky & Bullwinkle, 88 Minutes and Righteous Kill to name a few. Can I still give them A list for a franchise if they are now just phoning it in for the paycheck? Also, I like Kate Winslet and was very happy to see her finally win her statue and she was in the biggest movie of all time and I really want to include her on the A list. Which leads me to Leonardo DiCaprio. He’s been in Titantic, The Departed, Blood Diamonds, The Aviator, Catch Me If You Can and of course, What’s Eating Gilbert Grape?, not to mention countless other flicks. He’s also had a few misses. He’s been nominated for 3 statues and currently has 21 deals in development. I want to place him on the A list but I need some backing up here.

13 comments:

JaxSux said...

imo it's safe to include DeNiro and Pacino just because they will always be A list in people's minds. I don't think a bunch of shitty movies they do will change that really, even though it probably should, lol.

Def agree that Winslet should now be A list as well as Leo. Good choices all around.

as for suggestions of indisputable A lister:

-Anthony Hopkins (1 oscar, 3 more noms)

*Miss_P* said...

yep, agree with all of the above.

how about Hugh Jackman for A-list? huge at the moent with x-men and wolverine

the.princess.leia said...

@Bodie: I feel crazy for excluding Anthony Hopkins. With that suggestion, it also made me think of Jodie Foster.

@*Miss_P*: Hugh Jackman definitely deserves to be on the A-list. He has a successful franchise and I can overlook Australia. (Also, he seems to be an awesome Dad to his two children. He doesn't seem to treat them as different just because they are adopted. I know that has nothing to do with whether or not he would be A list, I just wanted to point that out.)

JaxSux said...

Yes, Jodie Foster would be A list i think even though she hasn't been around much. Some people just sort of stay there regardless right??

what about Judi Dench? franchise (Bond), Oscar winner and mulitple nominations.

i don't know why i'm coming up with all the older peeps, lol

FrenchGirl said...

christian bale? if RDJ is A list,he's A list!i know T4 isn't a success in USA but i think it's because of bad Geek reviews ,McG and a not very good movie !(what did he think signing his agreement?)He has 2 franchises,he's popular!

FrenchGirl said...

leo dicaprio,kate winslet are totally A list!even my mother know them but speak her on keanu reeve,she doesn't know him!for me Reeve is more B+ list!

the.princess.leia said...

pomme, Trust! I understand the feelings about Reeves. However, going on the successful franchise movie, he's still considered A list. I def wanted to put KW & LD on the A list, I just wanted a little back up. :)

JaxSux said...

i think being in one of the most iconic franchises in modern history (Matrix) puts it's star on the A list

even if that person was Bill S. Preston, Esquire

LOL

whole lotto luv said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JaxSux said...

p.s i realize Keanu was Ted in the movie, and Alex Winter was Bill but the joke works better this way ;)

thought i should state that b4 peeps started jumping on it, lol

Jade, That Girl said...

disagreeing about kate...she is like B+ list, because her movies don't make a lot of money.

Hugh Jackman, is definitely A list now.

What about Vince Vaughn?

Leo is A without doubt.

Kay said...

Leonardo is definitely A list, never been a f his until recently and his work is solid.

mooshki said...

I agree with all these.